Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Assignment #2

                   

    Assignment 2 - Social Commentary/ Critique



                                      Work in Progress


                                 I'm all finished, isn't it great!!!!  
  
     Ok, yes it's great, just not mine.

        
                 
     This is the work of the great German artist Hannah Hoch (1889-1978). She, along with Raoul Hausemann and John Heartfield are credited with creating the first photo montages. I will use them as my "inspiration artist".


I have decided to base my project on pedophile priests. Although I had many different and interesting ideas for subject matter, this one just kept coming back to the front of my mind.

Ok, so to update my true progress , here goes:

I have selected approx 40 images from the web search and have attempted to 
edit them down in Photoshop. Very time consuming for someone who must continue switching screens to the tutorials on the web! I had hoped to have more completed work to post today but many, many hours have not produced much real progress in regards to the finished piece. Here are a few of the images I will incorporate....











  Here is one of the very unfinished edits I have worked on.... It's gonna take a lot of trial and error for me , as this software is somehow really difficult for me to retain .  Having fun in the process, though. Can't wait to be good at this!

    

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting concept. It is a heated and relevant issue today. I think that you have gather a lot of photos that seem great to work with and I look forward to seeing the results. The photo in which you merge the aqua duct and the basilica is very hauntingly interesting, I think it would be cool if you put a picture of a child under each of the aqua duct's arches or something like that. The material you have gives way to many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really, really intrigued by your concept. I think it's a good topic - something that should be addressed as it tends to fall to the back of our minds with how everything is about achieving the greatest shock value possible in today's society. It's a good question on morals and trust and I like the pictures you've chosen to incorporate into your piece.

    It's difficult for me to see just exactly where this is headed but I'm basing it vaguely off Hoch's piece which you posted and I think it will turn out great. I'm picturing a sort of digital collage with the blue and green tones presented in your work-in-progress but I'm interested to see where you take it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to see a contemporary Hoch-style image. One of the things I really appreciate about Hoch's collage is the chaos and absurdity she conveys...If yours has a similar feel, I think it will speak appropriately towards the chaos and absurdity of your subject. I think you are on the right track, gathering many, many images and placing them together in the same canvas. I think the abundance of imagery will be important here, as the issue is complex and even confusing. Nice start!

    ReplyDelete